Главная » 2016 » Январь » 24 » Школьная олимпиада по английскому языку 9 класс
09:48Школьная олимпиада по английскому языку 9 класс
For questions 1-6 choose the right answer.
1. It is not often that we make a hero of a robber, but Robin Hood somehow seems to be different. Everybody knows it is wrong to steal, yet Robin Hood is admired. The reason for this, of course, is that he stole from the rich and gave to the poor.
2. Was Robin Hood a real man? We know that he was a favourite figure in the ballads and stories of England in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. We also know that according to these stories he lived in the twelfth century. In the year 1521, there appeared a Latin history which mentioned Robin Hood.
3. This is what it said: «About the time of Richard I, Robin Hood and Little John, the most famous of robbers, were hiding in the woods and stealing only from rich men; they killed none except those who resisted them or came to attack them. Robin had 100 men - all skilled archers -well trained for fighting. They were so good that not even 400 men dared to come against them.
4. All England sings of the deeds of this Robin; he did not allow any woman to be hurt, nor did he ever take the goods from the poor; indeed he gave them a lot of the goods he stole from the abbots.»
5. Robin Hood definitely captured the imagination of the English people of that period, because he was a hero working for justice. Robin pleased them and they built around his name one legend after another. They made him a great sportsman, a wonderful archer, a loyal friend, and a lover of the green woods where he lived.
6. There are many theories about Robin Hood. One of these suggests that he was a Saxon, and among the last of those who held against the Normans when they conquered England. It seems certain that a man called Robin Hood really existed. But it is also quite clear that many of the stories about Robin Hood were made up by people.
1. Robin Hood is admired because_____.
a. he was a robber.
b. everybody knows him.
c. Не helped people who had no money.
d. He was different from others.
2. The Latin history mentioning Robin Hood was written in the_____.
a. 12th century
b. 14th century
с. 15th century
d. 16th century
3. Robin Hood and his men killed_____.
a. people they didn't like
b. only rich people
c. skilled archers
d. people fighting against them
4. Robin Hood didn't let his men_____.
a. offend women
b. steal from women
c. take the goods away from women
d. meet women and abbots
5. The English people of the Middle Ages made up stories about Robin because_____.
a. he could fight skillfully with a sword.
b. he was a great athlete
c. he wanted life to be fair
d. he was a great lover
6. We certainly know that Robin Hood was_____.
a. a ballad character
b. a Saxon king
с. a real man
d. a Norman conqueror
For questions 7-26 read the text. Complete each sentence putting the verb in brackets into the correct form. Write your Answers in the boxes below.
Computers can solve difficult problems. One day a famous general (give)7 a computer which (be)8 able to answer complicated questions on war problems. The War Office also (send)9 an expert to fix the Computer. The general (think)10 hard over an important military problem for quite a long time and the computer (bring)11 at the right moment to help the general. It (take)12 the general ten minutes to set the problem. «The enemy just (open)13 fire from the south». The general wanted to know what the results (be)14 if he (attack)15 the enemy or if he (withdraw)16 his army. The computer (start)17 (work)18 at once. While the computer (operate)19 by the expert, the general (watch)20 the screen (flash)21. At last the answer (receive)22 «Yes». The general’s face (grow)23 dark red. He shouted at the top of his voice: «Yes, what?» The computer (get)24 down to work again. «Yes, sir!». It (be)25 half an hour later when the next answer (come)26. «Yes? Sir!»
For questions 27-31 change the following statements to the inohcated type of questions.
27. Every large town has at least one professional football club. (General)
28. There will be somebody in the library. (Alternative)
29. They have been travelling since July, 5. (to the subject)
30. TA cup of tea is brought for you. (Disjunctive)
31. We’ve already done all our exercises. (Special)
For questions 32-43 read the text below and yse the words in the box on the right to form one word that fits in the same numbered space in the text.
In downtown New York city, 32__________WORK
were digging. This was only one
of many 33____________________________CONSTRUCT
sites in the city, but this one
would be 34___________________________ DIFFER
This site was surrounded by steel and glass skyscrapers. Eventually,
an office 35________________________ BUILD
would rise here, too. Now, however,
an 36_____________________________ USUAL
type of 37____________ACTIVE
was occurring. Something appeared
strange. The 38______________________ WORK
were not constructing a 39_____________ BUILD
but were unearthing an old ship. Can you imagine a ship under the busy streets of Manhattan?
is very simple. 41_____________________BUILD
must search sites for 42_________________HISTORY
treasure. The 43_____________________REQUIRE
is very strict. The ship had been discovered during such a search.
For questions 44-53 decide which to choose: A, B, C, or D.
44. We are________ to your visit.
A. waiting B. looking over
C. expecting D. looking forward
45. Never________________ till tomorrow what you can do today.
A. put out B. put off
С lay D. hold up
46. The spectators____________out laughing when the clowns appeared on
A. burst B. started
С broke D. set
47. In most countries elementary education is__________for all children.
A. compulsory B. comprehensive
C. optional D. apparent
48. _ were given two days off to celebrate the queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002. A. English B. the British
C. Britains D. British
49. We went by bus - the cheapest means of
A. tour B. journey
C. trip D. travel
50. You take the camera, I'll stand over here, and you can____the picture.
A. do up B. make
C. take D. have
51. Don't try__________the blame for this on me.
A. putting В. lying
С. to lie D. to lay
52. The price of oil keeps____________.
A. rising B. to go up
С getting larger D. raising
53. _____she enjoyed the job. But after a few days she found it too difficult.
A. At once B. Firstly
C. First D. At first
For questions 54-58 complete each sentence with a suitable phrasal verb (A,B,C,D,E,F) from the box below. There is one extra phrasal verb, which you do not need to use.
look into look up take in take up turn in turn up
А В С D E F
54. You must_______the library books before the deadline.
55. It took me a long time to_______what you were saying.
56. I promise we will_______the problem and see if we can find a solution.
57. She is late. Do not worry she will_______in a minute.
58. I won't_______any more of your valuable time.
For questions 59-69 decide which to choose: a), b) or c).
59. She promised to____up early tomorrow.
a) do b) get c) look
60. That day we were late and_____down to work only by
a) get b) run c) take
61. This is our station,_____off quickly.
a) make b) take c) get
62. I'm so sorry I have_____up sport.
a) turned b) done c) given
63. The pancake is burning!_____it over now!
a) Run b) Turn c) Get
64. I never sell my books, I_____them away.
a) give b) run c) do
65. The story_____out to be so boring that I couldn't read it
to the end.
a) set b) turned c) gave
66. Never_____up hope!
a) do b) give c) turn
67. In the film the hero easily__ away from the enemies.
a) runs b) gives c) does
68._____the picture down and look closer at it.
a) Get b) Run c) Take
69. I'll_____ out some paper for you to write on.
a) turn b) give c) set
For questions 70-74 choose the one correct answer out of the ten (A-J).
70._________________ is a constitutional document which since 1215
has been part of English Law. It protects the community against the Crown.
71._________________is a person who is in charge of debates in the House
of Commons. He or she is not a Minister nor a member of any political party.
72. The principal task of
in Britain is to keep discipline among
the party's Members of Parliament.
73.________________ is a constitutional document which extended the
powers of Parliament making it impracticable for the Sovereign to ignore the wishes of the Government.
74._____________ was the first university to be established in Britain. It
dates from the 12 century.
The University of Oxford
The University of Wales
The Prime Minister
The Bill of Rights
The Magna Carta
The Chief Lord of the Treasury
The Chief Whip
Was being operated
Had been thinking
Task 5. Task 6.
Составила учитель английского языка высшей категории
Гаврилова Наталья Дмитриевна
Школьная олимпиада по английскому языку
для 8-9 классов.
2011-2012 учебный год.
Прочитайте информацию для студентов, только что приехавших в летнюю школу. Установите соответствие между заголовками A-F и пронумерованными абзацами текста 1-5. Запишите свои ответы в таблицу. Используйте каждую букву только один раз. В задании есть один лишний заголовок.
Safe solutions are still needed
International efforts to stop pollution
C. Science for nature protection
D.Set to protect nature.
E. Air pollution in the chain of global destruction.
F. We are all elements of global ecosystem.
1.People have lived on our planet for many years. We may live on different continents and in different countries, but we all depend on our planet, on the sun, on animals and plants around us. We must take care of Earth but not destruct wildlife. Many species of animals and birds are disappearing nowadays. We cut down trees to make furniture, but we forget that people can't live without trees and plants. Every little creature or thing on Earth plays its own part and makes our home unique.
2. One of the biggest eco problems is pollution. The main reason of pollution is rubbish. Most of our rubbish goes to big holes in the ground, called 'dumps'. But dumps are very dangerous for our life, because they are full of rats, which can carry infections away from dumps. Another way to get rid of rubbish is to burn it. But the fires make poisons, which go into the air and pollute it. This is the propel scientists should get interested in. Such researchers are worth spending money on.
3. The Royal Society for the prevention of cruelty to animals (the RSPCA) tries to protect animals from bad use. It operates big nation campaigns aimed at lost pets and circus animals. The World Wildlife Fund (The WWF) rescued several species of animals, mammals as well as birds. These organizations also helped to create more than 250 National parks. Greenpeace began its work 20 years ago from saving whales. And now Greenpeace is a world-famous organization, which saves plants, animals and people.
4. Every year world industry pollutes the atmosphere with about 1000 million tons of dust and harmful substances. Many cities suffer from smog. Vast forests are cut down and burn in fire. Their disappearance upsets the oxygen balance. As a result some rare species of animals, birds, fish and plants disappear forever, a number of lakes and rivers dry up. The pollution of air and the world destruction of the ozone layer is the result of man's careless interaction with nature, a sign of ecological crises.
5. Numerous conferences have been held to discuss questions of ecologically poor regions including the Aral Sea, the South Urals, Kuzbass, Donbass, Semipalatsinsk and Chernobyl. An international environmental research center has been set up on Lake Baikal. Scientists are also doing much to preserve the environment. But these are only the initial steps that must be carried forward to protect not only for the sake of the present but for the future generations.
Прочитайте текст. Определите, какие из приведённых утверждений 6-9 соответствуют содержанию текста (1 - True), какие не соответствуют (2 - False) и о чём в тексте не сказано, то есть на основании текста нельзя дать ни положительного, ни отрицательного ответа (3 - Not stated).
Every nation and country has a reputation of some kind. The Englishmen are believed to be cold, reserved, rather naughty, easy-going and fond of sport. They are the nation of stay-at-homes. "There is no place like home", they say. The English man's home is his castle is a saying known all over the world.
They prefer a small house built for one family, with a small garden and a fire in the centre of the house. They like animals very much and follow many traditions especially concerning food and manners. We know much about English traditions and customs but now I'd like to say a few words about the traditions of my native land-Russia.
First, some words about Russian people. To my mind, the main traits of their characters are their hospitality, their "open heartedness" and inventiveness. Russian fairytales reflect this. Our people are hardworking, patient, never loosing hope for better life. The Russians are the talented nation. Russia gave the world thousands of the world famous writers, composers, scientists, inventors and explorers. All of them are the pride of the nation.
Such names of Gzhel and Khokhloma are considered to be the symbols of Russia as well as matryoshkas and samovars. The history of Khokhloma goes back to the 17th century. The production of tableware-dishes, spoons, mugs was begun at that time in the villages of Suomino and Khokhloma in the Nizhniy Novgorod Province. Many carpenters, painters have been working since then reviving traditions of old masters.
The Khokhloma style is characterized by using plant elements in painting the tableware. The prevailing colors are black, yellow, golden, green and red.
Nowadays this craft is sure to be saved; it will be developed and brought into the future by the new generation of painters.
6. The Englishmen have bad reputation among different nations in the world.
1) True 2) False 3) Not stated
7. English people are home-centered.
1) True 2) False 3) Not stated
8. Russia has contributed a lot to the world civilization.
1) True 2) False 3) Not stated
9. Khokhloma style has been a typical Russian craft since Kievan Russ.
1) True 2) False 3) Not stated
Прочитайте текст и заполните пропуски 10—13 одним из вариантов А-Е. Один вариант в списке А-Е лишний. Перенесите ответы в таблицу.
Some people say that we live in the time of technology and communication. Some people, ________________ (10). The Internet, radio and computer technologies have changed out communication style completely. We've got used to short e-mails and extra-short SMS's. There is no need to think about handwriting or spelling. We don't even need to think about the words to use - telephones and computers often suggest their ready-made sentences for greetings and partings, _______________(11).
In fact, it's great that we are able to communicate so quickly nowadays. It takes seconds to ask a person living in the other hemisphere a question and_______________(12). And we tend to use shorter and shorter sentences when we write and when we speak.
Some scientists worry about too short sentences. They say that if we lose the art of conversation, _______________(13).
Speech influences the way we think and vice versa. If we don't apply individual style in writing and speaking, we risk losing individuality in thinking too.
A it will make our speech various
В to express congratulations or compassion
С in contrast, say that we are losing the ability to communicate
D we will become primitive and stereotypical in our thinking
E to get the answer
Выберите правильный вариант перевода предложения. (14)
I wish I could see them if they had my turned-up nose and my silly freckles...
A .Мне хотелось бы, чтобы у них был мой курносый нос и мои веснушки.
B. Интересно, как они выглядели бы с курносыми носами и с веснушками.
C. Жаль, что у них такие же курносые носы и глупые веснушки, как у меня.
D. Посмотрела бы я на них, если бы у них были такие же курносые носы и дурацкие веснушки, как у меня.
Прочитайте текст. Поставьте глаголы, данные в скобках после цифр 15-19, в нужную форму и заполните пропуски.
It was a nice winter day. It ____________15 (snow) but it wasn't windy and I decided to walk instead of going by bus. Everything _______________ 16 (cover) with snow and it looked beautiful. I was crossing the road when somebody called me by name. It was a little man in a funny hat, he was waving me from the opposite side of the road. "Jack, is it you? I'm so happy to see you! We_______________17 (not/see) each other for fifteen, no - for seventeen years!" His voice seemed familiar, but I ______________ 18 (not/recognise) him anyway. He understood that and looked a bit hurt, "Can't you recognise me? I'm Sam. We _______________ 19 (play) for the University football team when we were students."
Прочитайте текст и вставьте в пропуски 20-24 подходящие слова, выбрав из предложенных ниже вариантов.
When I say that life will be much ___________20 when I finish school, my elder brother laughs at me. He thinks that ______________ 21 is a lifetime process and it will never be over. According to him,______________22 should study all the time if they don't want to fall______________23 the others. My brother graduated from the university last year. He works in the field of telecommunications and reads a lot in the evenings. He says that he______________ 24 do it because technologies develop very quickly.
20 а) easy b) easier c) easiest d) the easiest
21 а) to study b) studying c) study d) studies
22 а) someone c) nobody
b) somebody d) everyone
23 а) apart b) down c) behind d) in
24 а) has to b) may c) can d) could
Read the letter and answer it. Write about:
• your agreement to take part in the project;
• the subject you want to study (geography, history, biology, languages, literature, etc.) and explain your choice;
• your friend you want to be with in the project (the name and some details about him/her).
Do not forget to write the address. You should write 60-80 words.
I've got great news! I've found out about international project competition l You know, there's a special educational committee, which encourages young people to do some research and project work. I'm going to apply. Would you like to join me? If we work together, we can register as a team, if you are with me, we need to agree on the subject we are going to research and the number of people in our team. If you have some reliable friends, they are welcome, too. Let me know what you think about it.
Hope to hear from you soon, Jeffery.
Jeffery lives in Canada Vancouver 5678 Laurel Street 8
|Всего комментариев: 0|