Главная » 2016 » Январь » 24 » Городская олимпиада по английскому языку 9 класс
09:46Городская олимпиада по английскому языку 9 класс
Read the text «Elvis Presley»
1. Elvis Presley, who died at the age of 42 on August 16, 1977, will be remembered as one of the earliest and the greatest rock and roll singers. His recordings of «Blue Suede Shoes», «Hound Dog» and «Heartbreak Hotel» will always be classics. To his own generation and to others born after his career began, Elvis remained «the King».
2. A new art form, a youth revolution was not among the ideas of Presley and his promoters. He was launched in the middle fifties as a money-making singer with a life, possibly, of six months. But he was to create a style which fascinated millions of young people for twenty years.
3. Elvis Aron Presley was born in January, 1935, in the small town of Tupelo, Fast Mississippi. His parents were poor factory workers. Elvis was one of twin boys, his brother Aron died at birth. Throughout his childhood, Elvis was beloved of all who knew him, especially his mother Gladys. Elvis, in return, was very fond of his mother, and was deeply affected by her death in 1958.
4. The Presley family moved to Memphis when Elvis was 10. Elvis had received a musical education no greater than any boy in the Southern States of the USA, picking up simple guitar-playing, singing in church or at country fairs. When he left school, he was to work as a truck driver.
5. Elvis's first success was a recording made for Sam Phillips at Sun Records in Memphis: «That's All Right, Mama». Phillips saw the possibilities in а white boy who could sing black music. It was he who encouraged Presley to develop a style unlike anything ever heard.
6. Presley might none the less have become unknown to the great public but for the work of «Colonel» — Tom Parker who steered his career as manager — flooding the market with songbooks, lipsticks, sweaters and picture albums of his Elvis.
7. The «Colonel» restricted Elvis's TV shows to one every two years — he saw the dangers of being seen too often by the masses. This and, of course, his powerful singing made Elvis's success. «Heartbreak Hotel» alone stayed for eight weeks at number one in the American hit-parade. Elvis Presley had lived not long but bright life and remained the "King of Rock&Roll music”.
Indicate the numbers of passages where you find the information about. Укажите номер абзаца, в котором содержится информация о… .
1. singer’s relatives_______________
2. his style _____________________
3. his first recording_______________
4. his career manager _____________
5. his success in the hit-parades______
6. his attitude to the members of his family___________
7. his first work_________________________________
Choose the best answer
1. Elvis Presley died at a) 58 b) 16 c) 42
2. His nick was a)Aron b)King c) Hound Dog
3. His mother’s name was a) Memphis b)Mama c) Gladys
4. His career manager was a) Sam Phillips b) Tom Parker Aron Presley
5. After school Elvis worked as a) driver b) worker c)manager
Task 2. Change the word in brackets to complete the sentence. / Измените слово, данное в скобках, чтобы закончить предложение.
1. There was a … to find the best book. (COMPETE) competition
2. Flowers … bees. (ATTRACTIVE) __________
3. That … is by Picasso. (PAINT) __________
4. We must make a … about where to go. (DECIDE) ___________
5. How many … holidays do you have? (NATION) _________
6. The film was … and he became rich. (SUCCESS) __________
7. He lives in a … house by the sea. (WOOD) __________
8. Could you repeat that … ? (EXPLAIN) __________
9. We are … of our district. (PRIDE) __________
Read the text below and choose the correct word for each space. For each question, mark the letter next to the correct word - А, В, С or D - on your answer sheet.
ENGLISH AROUND THE WORLD
English is the first language of many people in countries outside the United Kingdom.
When you (1)..............speakers of English from around the world, you (2)..............notice
that they do not all speak in the same way. There are also some (3)..............in the words
they use, including the names of (4)..............objects that are part of everyone's daily life.
But although pronunciation and (5)..............are not the same everywhere, it is interesting
that English speakers (6)..............opposite sides of the world can understand (7)..............
other quite easily. It does not seem to (8)..............where they learnt the language. And of
course this is one reason why speakers of other languages are keen (9)..............learning
English too. If you know English, you are more (10)..............to be able to study or work in all
orts of exciting places, such as the United States or Australia.
|Всего комментариев: 0|